In 1886 there were three major distilleries in the Liberties, George Roe Distillery, the largest in Europe, W illiam Jameson, of the Jameson family, Marrowbone Lane and John Power’s John Lane Distillery. A huge fire in 1875 nearly brought an early end to all whiskey production in the Liberties, Prohibition along with a poorly timed amalgamtion of two of the leading producers were factors in its demise.
A number of Whiskey Distilleries were also in production at this time in Cork, the only all Irish company at this time was owned and run by three Murphy brothers, Daniel, Jeremiah and James, they bought and converted an old woollen mill in 1825 and began production. Their flagship whiskey was renamed Paddy after a leading sales rep Paddy Flaherty, an Irish whiskey established by an Irish family and called after a local company man.
George Roe Distillery back in Dublin occupied 17 acres off Thomas St and was producing 2,000,000 gallons per year, twice that of Jamesons. The Windmill is currently owned by Guinness and still stands overlooking Thomas St. Guinnes are naming their new whiskey after George Roe.
Advert for George Roe Whiskey
William Jameson Distillery, the image shows its extensive industrial complex in 1845, located at Marrowbone Lane, Dublin 8
Advert for William Jameson Whiskey
The whiskey took direct aim at the Irish in America.
John Power’s John Lane Distillery. The premises of the National College of Design, NCAD now occupy the buildings of Power’s Distillery, Thomas St, three stills remain in view on the college site. The image shows a promotional leaflet also for the American market and depicting the Thomas St production plant.